1. Alternatively referred to as a USB flash drive, data stick, pen drive, keychain drive and thumb drive, a jump drive is a portable drive that is often the size of your thumb that connects to the computer USB port. Today, flash drives are available in various sizes including but not limited to 256MB, 512MB, 1GB, 5GB, 16GB, and beyond and are widely used as an easy and small way to transfer ANDstore information from their computer.
In the picture to the right, is an example of the SanDisk Cruzer Micro 16GB flash drive and a good example of what many flash drives look like. As can be seen in this picture the drive has a small casing that stores the flash memory connected to a USB connection that is plugged into the USB port on your computer.
2. The term flash drive may also be used to describe a SSD.
- Do I need to defrag my SSD or other flash drive?
- Unable to read USB thumb drive.
- Can a thumb drive be infected with a virus?